Monday 7 November 2011

Karin Broos, extraordinary painter


When I was younger (i.e. a teenager) I couldn’t really understand the point of photo realistic art, when there were photos. In fact I didn’t much care for any kind of realism in art, film or literature. During my early teens I pretty much thought Salvador Dalí was the only artist worth looking at. Today I can still appreciate surrealism, but mostly in literature, and when it comes to art I am so much more drawn to realism now. I guess as a teenager you see the world as a surreal place, where most things don’t make any sense, at least I did. And now as a grown-up you know that reality is both a reassuring and scary place, where both comfort and darkness can hide in the same spot, just underneath the surface of a seemingly perfect place.

When I saw the amazing paintings of Swedish artist Karin Broos, I immediately fell in love with them. Apart from being masterfully done, I am mesmerized by the feeling of belonging and utter solitude that I think her work depicts, the very duality that constitutes life. There is a show with her work at Sven-Harrys Konstmuseum until November 2oth here in Stockholm, I need to go there NOW.





















All work belongs to Karin Broos.

No comments: