Wednesday 24 March 2010

five favorite flower prints


Let me present to you one of my all time favorite dresses! It must be about 5 years or so ago I found this a summer day outside a vintage shop that unfortunately no longer exists in Stockholm. I hesitated for a minute, cos I thought 250 kronor was a bit much, but considering how much I've worn it that was money well spent for sure. It's got a perfect fit, and it works in all seasons. Well, since it's polyester maybe not during the hottest of days, but the cloudy ones at least. It's just something about it that makes me feel very good about myself each time I put it on. And I've always loved black and white.



Sleeveless cotton dresses are a better pick for those scorching days, and this pretty pink on black thing has also proved to be an excellent investment. Think it's also maybe 5 years old, and actually from H&M, but vintage. For a brief period their store at Brunogallerian had a corner with vintage clothes, don't ask me why. I remember it being the day before midsummer's, a weekend I particularly used to hate, cos for some reason even the closest of friends tend to pair up and forget about the singles who has to stay behind in the city. I'd decided to not care about it that year though, and not do anything but at least together with my brother. He likes not doing anything as well. I still wanted to get something pretty to wear for this not doing anything event, and what better than a flowery thing like this. Don't really remember how much I paid for it, but I've got a vague memory it was about 150 kronor.



What happened in the summer of 2004 was that my band at the time (Dexter's Moon) got a show at Vinterviken, and I decided that was an excellent excuse to finally buy this incredible vintage dress I'd seen in the window at Emmaus in Götgatan. A bit nervous I went there hoping it hadn't been sold in the meantime, cos it wasn't in the window anymore, and I'd told myself I could get it if it didn't cost more than 300 kronor. Luckily it was still there, and it cost 280! I'll post pictures of it some other time, but it's a white dress with black polkadots and tiny yellow flowers scattered over it. It had long puff sleeves and was full length, very 70's looking, and the first time I saw it I thought it would make a great wedding dress! Since I had no plans of marriage at the time I shortened it and cut off the sleeves. From the left over fabric I made a matching hair band. The show was at 3 in the afternoon, and I swear it must have been one of the hottest days that summer, and the stage was in direct sunlight, my guitar is black and you can figure out for yourselves how hot that guitar got ... I was barefoot, and by the time the show was over my dress was like a second skin on my body. It was still a very good day, and it started this fix idea that I was allowed to buy one dress for every new show we got with the band. Maybe I should add that I was really broke at this time, and shopping was kept at a minimum. Fortunately my economy got a lot better around the same time as we suddenly got a lot of bookings, and during spring of 2005 my wardrobe grew considerably.

This red dress is quite similar to the pink flowery one, and it's a bit difficult to see but it's got tiny white flowers on it. I don't remember at all where it's from, could be from that H&M vintage selection as well cos I remember it's from that same summer.



Here's a non vintage dress! It's got a nice retro feel to it though. I got it during my first visit to Durban, when I got so overwhelmed by Mr Price, the chain store very similar to H&M in my opinion, but even cheaper. And with a pretty bad name. Who cares about that when you can buy a new dress as pretty as this for a mere 110 rand (about the same in kronor)?!? I sure don't.



This was a christmas gift last year from my mother-in-law, or rather two years ago I guess. I love halternecks, and I've got very few green dresses although I love green, so this has become a favorite. It's not vintage, and I don't know what it cost, but it's from a store called City Girl here in Durban.

No comments: